Friday, October 9, 2009

Pumpkin Envy

Every fall hundreds of watermelons everywhere suffer from a little known condition known as 'pumpkin envy'. This rare condition actually causes genetic color mutation in affected fruits, turning their red flesh orange. So many questions have been asked in the botanical community. What caused the mutation? Can we prevent it? Can it be reversed? Sadly we still know very little. What does seem to be apparent, however, is the cause. When the weather turns cold and picnics and barbeques are forgotten, so too is vulnerable fruit.

So obviously this orange fleshed watermelon isn't actually an unloved fruit reaching out for attention. However, I still can't explain my shock when I sliced into it. An orange watermelon? I truly had no idea there was such a thing. After a little searching online I found it to be a fun novelty breed. And let me assure you, it was quite tasty. So if you have a chance to try one, don't hesitate. The watermelon community will thank you.

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool! I will have to look for them now. My son loves watermelon (waterfruit, as he calls it), I wonder how he would react....

    ReplyDelete